Oral Anticoagulants come with risk factors for many NVAF patients—including adherence issues and bleeding risks that compound over time.
Example of Risk Factors and Limitations of Blood Thinners
- Bleeding risk
- Daily regimen
- High non-adherence rates
- Regular INR monitoring
- Food and drug interaction issues
- Complicates surgical procedures
- Limited reversal agents
- High cost
1. Reddy VY, et al. JACC 2017; 70(24): 2964–2975.
2. Price, MJ, et al. JACC: CV Interv 2015; 8(15): 1925–1932.
PREVAIL findings (3 Years vs. 5)
*4. Holmes DR Jr, Kar S, Price MJ, et al. Prospective randomized evaluation of the Watchman Left Atrial Appendage Closure device in patients with atrial fibrillation versus long-term warfarin therapy: the PREVAIL trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;64(1):1–12.
*Procedural Success defined as deployment and release of the device into the LAA with no leak greater than or equal to 5mm
5. Varosy P et al. JACC 2018; 71(11): A320.